More on my artistic side.

I would like to share some of my paintings and drawings.

Friday, February 25, 2022

Rock Painting


 

I have painted on rocks for a long time.  Most of them were scenes of the North Shore, Minnesota.  There were usually light houses sitting on the rocks and the presentations were pretty flat.  This rock is a painting of a large rock formation that would sit along the Lake Superior.  The rock textures are painted on there with enhancement of some of the natural texture of the rock. 



This is a side view of the rock showing its natural surface.  The painting was in progress when I took this photo.



I added a larger sea gull after I took this shot.  Painting birds on the rocks really requires them to be more impressionistic, globs of paint that resemble a sea gull. 



While I painted on the rock I had to lean it on another rock to be able to paint the bottom of it.



This is the back side of the rock showing how it looked before I started.  My wife and I use to sit along the North Shore and paint the shoreline of the North Shore. I had plenty of memory resource to create the painting that I did on the front side of this rock.  The rocks along the shore are made up of iron ore. If I didn't mention it before, these rocks were collected in the areas all along the shore from Duluth to Grand Marais. 



This is an example of the pastel painting that I did along the north shore.

2 comments:

Rajani Rehana said...

Great blog

Larry said...

I like the idea of rock painting. You can get a natural canvas for free! I di that myself in my yard but I am not an artist like you.