More on my artistic side.

I would like to share some of my paintings and drawings.

Friday, December 31, 2010

Grand Portage, Minnesota.......



Another older painting to share with  you today.  I painted this in the summer of 1992 in oils.  The scene is a large opening overlooking Lake Superior.  The tepee was there but the rest came from imagination. 

Grand Portage is one of the last towns at the top of Minnesota on the North Shore.  It is Indian Reservation Territory and there is a recreated structure of the actual fort or trading post that sat there.  The mountains to the left are sitting on a projection of land that helps to make that curved shape of the states form.

I won't critique my own work with this one, but as an art teacher I can see that I have three different paintings that could have been cropped out of this painting.


I find myself evaluating my older work to help me to improve on my work. Composition is important and in each of the three cropped photos you can see different things take on  different importance.  It may be the tepee, or the tree, or the sky itself. In many ways the foreground of the original work could have been deleted and the painting could have been painted on the horizontal.

The addition of a sea gull would help any balance problems created by cropping.  I will leave it all alone and maybe I can start a new painting perfecting the painting that was done 18 years ago.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice painting Larry... hope you have a Happy New Year filled with simple blessings!

Sunny said...

The first thing that came to mind looking at your wonderful painting was 'The Song of Hiawatha'. "By the shores of Gitchee Gumee..."
The soft colors are really lovely.
☼ Sunny